Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Takashi Miike, Prophet Of Chaos


You have to love this man, because this man just loves Chaos. And when I talk about love I mean true love. When I talk about true love, I am referring to throat-biting, razor-boots-to-the-face, five-schoolboys-slobbering-on-a-screaming-woman, wok-torture, rubber-suited, hot pokers applied where they shouldn’t be S-E-X. And when I talk about S-E-X, I mean V-I-O-L-E-N-C-E, so beautifully choreographed that the Borzoi ballet company would have a hard time keeping up.

This guy is really something special.

It is Miike’s delicately-balanced genius to emanate purely creative Disorder, while celebrating the destructive type of Chaos that most people think of when they hear that word. I mean, dig it, the movies make NO sense. The longer you watch, the deeper the incongruity gets. AND you can hardly stomach half the stuff that’s going on. But at the end, as the credits roll, you glance at each other uneasily and say, "That was….kinda cool. Let’s see it again, right now."



Here is a list of his films. I hear the "Masters Of Horror" episode he directed was so grue-tistical they did not allow it to be aired. But you can buy it on disc.

I wonder what Thomas Hardy would think of Miike? After he got through puking, I mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home