Sunday, April 26, 2009


I got this big packet of proxy voting information from Exxon Mobil. They wanted me to vote against ALL the resolutions they have on the ballot this year.


They want me to vote against requiring lower greenhouse-gas emissions for all their products.


They want me to vote against research into renewable energy resources.


They even want me to vote against a resolution banning discrimination against gays and lesbians working for the company. They used that key phrase that should tell all right-thinking Americans that something is wrong with this picture: "WE ARE A MERITOCRACY," they said.


I threw out the rest of the packet, after voting for all the resolutions, but I might fish it out and keep it to look back on later. I fully recognize that while part of me voted the way I did because that is my position on these matters, part of me enjoyed telling Exxon Mobil to get real.


One rather wonders how many of the stockholders just followed the recommendations of the company, and voted the way they were told to vote.


This entertaining moment in my Saturday just goes to show what I'm always on about: people who oppose the goals of a powerful conglomerate think the best thing to do is boycott, and sell their stock in the company to show them what's what. I say that robs you of all your power as a shareholder to tell them where to get off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home