Saturday, November 06, 2010

Midterm Elections = Discordian Religious Ecstatic Experience


Well, the elections on Tuesday came out MUCH MORE EXCITING THAN I DARED TO HOPE. For weeks I've been reading stuff in the news along the lines of "The Republicans must be stopped, and they will be!" and "The Tea Partiers will never get a foothold because we all know they're a bunch of demented freaks!" I even read a long piece in Newsweek about how if -- improbably -- the GOP did get a lot of new candidates in, it wouldn't make any difference, that all Obama's plans would proceed pretty much on schedule.
Well, not only did the GOP ge a lot of new candidates in, but the Tea Party now has the foothold it wants. Obama called it "a shellacking." What I have to like about this is that the Tea Party has no agenda that makes any sort of sense. They have a lot of complaints and NO PLANS TO ADDRESS THEM. They just seem to want to wear tricorn hats and holler at passing cars. CARRY ON, MY FRIENDS -- this is the monkey wrench I've been waiting for, hell, for YEARS. Can the immanentizing of the Eschaton really be far behind?
Don't get me wrong. I'm a staunch Obamanite who voted for the straight Democratic ticket. But I can't help seeing the humor in this situation.
The crowning touch -- and I just couldn't believe this -- was a tidbit I heard on NPR today while heading over to the post office. The announcer said the US voters -- stepping forward into the voting booths on the appointed day and speaking as one voice -- put four DEAD candidates into office across the country.
FOUR.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, the biggest brand name Tea Party winner, Rand Paul, is already announcing* that he plans to break the many of the campaign promises that made him so popular with his curb-stomping friends, and will be just another mainstream Republican by the time he takes office. I imagine the others will do pretty much the same.

*For instance, his promise to end earmarks and pork has already been set aside in place of a publicly announced intention to bring home the bacon for Kentucky.

-PMZ

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Regret said...

First: you are using immanentizing the Eschaton wrong, I think you mean "Can the Eschaton really be immanentizing?"
Second: With the weird shit that has been happening all over the world i wouldn't be surprised if the Eschaton is already upon us.

We are beyond the technologically induced social singularity.
These are the Strange Times and it has become impossible to make predictions.

2:28 AM  
Blogger Duamuteffe said...

My kid brother ran for local government on a write-in ticket. We were unable to get him elected (this time) so mandatory hugging, Diablo II playing, and dancing will have to wait until another day :)

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If those 4 winners aren't dug up and propped up in the senate, then democracy is deadder than they are. Demand justice, freedom and other stuff! Reanimate the rightful representatives of the people!

Strange times, indeed.

- rhiz

12:16 AM  
Anonymous PC Scan said...

This is nice information, Thanks for share it

11:58 PM  
Blogger Gabriel said...

Hello, I'm from Brazil, my name is Gabriel and I made ​​an account on blogspot, and I'm using google translator to talk to you I want you to help me being a follower of my blog, he talks about Rock, but do not forget it is in Portuguese I refer you use the google translator is that i am counting on you http://grockclub.blogspot.com

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home